Because music matters.
Students arriving at Walt Disney Concert Hall for the Pasadena Showcase House Youth Concert.
Supporting the Arts
Make a Difference
Since 1953, the Pasadena Showcase House Youth Concert has introduced nearly a quarter million fourth graders to the symphony with a concert performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. Since 2003, students have had the thrill of experiencing a performance in the iconic Walt Disney Concert Hall, one of the world’s most remarkable music venues.
The hall comes alive with music and laughter as more than 4,000 enthusiastic fourth grade students experience the wonder of an original, live orchestral theater production.
Designed to weave musical concepts into an appealing storyline, the production often includes humor and utilizes actors, visual effects and theatrical devices to keep students engaged. Letters from the attendees demonstrate the knowledge they have gained and the joy of the experience.
Each student is given a program with lessons disguised in games and puzzles. Teachers are provided printed material to supplement the information taught at the concert. For most students in the audience, this is their first opportunity to witness the incredible architecture of Walt Disney Concert Hall and their first exposure to classical music.
Proceeds from the Pasadena Showcase House of Design, as well as support from the Green Foundation, makes this concert possible.
In previous years, Pasadena Showcase House Youth Concerts have featured:
- The sights and sounds of Maurice Ravel’s enchanting Mother Goose Suite
- A Los Angeles Philharmonic original program featuring Berlioz’ Symphonie Fantastique
- An original production centered around Saint-Saens’ Carnival of the Animals
- Music of Debussy, especially La Mer, along with images from well-known visual impressionists
- An original celebration of Bach’s birthday featuring his music
- Maximus Musicus, a lively Icelandic mouse explored the music of Iceland
- The Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky brought a monumental superhero clash to life
- Celebration of the venue’s pipe organ on its tenth anniversary
Sign up for updates and follow us on social media to get the latest news.